How to never give up on your goals!
Those who succeed in achieving their dreams always have one common characteristic: They never give up. This isn’t an attitude that they develop towards the end. It’s a mindset that they establish from the beginning and nurture throughout the process. Here’s seven ways to never give up on your goals and dreams.
- There is No Perfect Time. If you are thinking about giving up on a goal until the conditions in your life are just right, chances are you’ll be waiting a long time. There’s no perfect time to do something. It’s one of the secrets of success to know this. Looking for the perfect time is just an excuse to procrastinate. Instead of giving up, continue from where you are with what you’ve got. In six months, you can either have gotten closer to your dreams or be exactly in the same place that you are today. Never give up just because you think the time isn’t right.
- Disneyland Wasn’t Built in a Day. The more popular saying is “Rome wasn’t built in a day.” Have you ever noticed a new building or house at the start of construction and then were amazed to see is completed the next time you saw it? What you didn’t see was all the work that was done each day over six months to finish it. It’s the same with progress toward our goals and dreams. It’s hard to see any significant progress if you look for it daily or weekly basis. But if you look at your progress over several months or years, you can see how far you’ve come and what you’ve built with your life. You never give up because you know that goal achievement is a process and not an event.
- Trust that You Will Find a Way. Everyone wants to see the entire route and pitfalls before they begin their journey. The trouble is that the ideal rout to your goal doesn’t exist. This is because no one has ever traveled the unique path that you require. No one on earth has had the same experience as you. Therefore, your path to your goals will be the one that you create. Instead of giving up, trust that you will find the way as you go along. Never give up on your goals until you are certain that you’ve reached your desired destination.
- Don’t Let Setbacks and Difficulties Derail You. To expect a perfectly smooth ride to your goal is not reasonable. Why drive yourself crazy expecting perfection? It doesn’t exist. Obstacles are the test that will make you feel worthy and proud once you reach your goal. The true value and reward in accomplishing a goal is in the challenges you overcome during the journey. Setbacks and difficulties are your opportunities to become a person who is truly worthy of the success that you seek. Character building is a key component to the “never give up” mindset.
- Stay Focused on What You Want. Dismiss thoughts of failure and uncertainty and stay focused on the vision of what you want to accomplish. Spend some time imagining in detail what it will be like to achieve your desired outcome. Once you have a detailed, life-like movie of that outcome playing in your mind along with the wonderful feeling that it produces, that’s where you want to stay emotionally. That’s the emotional reality that you want to create in the present. When you have the emotional charge of what you intend to manifest in the present, you’ll have the motivation to do the things necessary to accomplish your goal.
- Create an Inspiration Board. An inspiration board should contain anything and everything that inspires you towards the accomplishment of your goals. This would include things that give you clarity and inspiration like numeric objectives, action steps, completion dates, mission statements, values and principle, pictures, inspirational messages, and quotes. An inspiration board can be made on many different things including a bulletin board, poster board, plywood, or picture frame backing. You can also create them for different purposes. For example, you might create one for you goals and one for inspiration.
- Face and Walk Through Your Fears. Attainment of any worthwhile goal or dream will require courage. Courage is not something that you can bring about intellectually. Courage is the ability to feel fear and take action in spite of it. The fear of failure and not being good enough are common. They feed on each other. When you feel that you are not good enough to reach a particular goal, you are being fearful that you won’t succeed. Which comes first then? Fear or the feeling that you’re not good enough? They happen simultaneously. Both of them can be traced to a fear of the unknown, which is a perfectly normal response.
The solution is to face and walk through your fears and uncertainties. Once you have successfully done this, then you get a measure of courage. Each time you do it, you will gain more courage. Eventually you will reach the point when you realize that you fears and uncertainties are no longer present.
Courageous men and women never give up!